Keep your store safe for employees and customers by following these tips.
Retail display safety is critical. The last thing you want to happen in your store is an accident of some kind. Customers or employees could be injured, and merchandise could get broken or otherwise damaged. In a shopping environment where creating an outstanding customer experience is your top priority, accidents can erase all your othper efforts in a heartbeat.
What can go wrong?
Fixtures and display units come in all types and sizes – from slatwalls and shelving units to mobile or fixed display cases such as counters, gondolas and tables, to free-standing racks, kiosks or sunglass racks. Displays can also incorporate digital signage units. These products can be constructed of wood, plastic, wire, metal, cardboard or glass.
The sheer variety of display options adds to the list of potential accidents:
- Improper assembly or overloading your display with too much merchandise can cause it to collapse.
- Uneven loading can also cause a display to tip over or collapse.
- Empty endcaps and low-level stacks of merchandise can cause shoppers to trip and fall, since they’re most likely focused on your products, not the floor.
- Display hooks with sharp ends can cut or scratch.
- Damaged display components can cause failure or injuries.
- Employees can fall as a result of using back room shelving or even lighting fixtures to climb up or brace themselves when retrieving merchandise.