In our last article, we talked about planograms – what they are and why they’re such an important tool for retailers. Now it’s time to look at how to create the perfect planogram for your store.
Planograms are a roadmap for you. They show how and where products are displayed on shelves, racks, and hanging units throughout store. Sometimes, manufacturers provide their own plans to influence how retailers display their products.
Done right, planograms turn into an invitation to buy for shoppers. Beyond a logical arrangement of merchandise – placing similar items together – they can:
- Draw customers to newly-arrived or very profitable items
- Improve cross-selling opportunities
- Prompt impulse purchases
Creating your planogram is as simple as 1-2-3.
1. Measure the fixtures to be included in the planogram:
- Depth and width of each shelf or rack section
- Number of shelves or racks
- Spacing between shelves or racks, or space needed for hanging items